Have you met Spikey? (Mistar PIGOG)


Ydych chi wedi cwrdd â Mistar PIGOG? 

No, I haven't got crumbs stuck in my keyboard again. That is the welsh language and it's from a pamphlet from the 70s/80s a distant time before this dying language was part of education in Welsh schools.

It looks like we paid 3p for this pamphlet (made by the Brecon Beacons National Park Committee and written by Meg Stevens). I guess as souvenirs go it was a bit different, and the money goes to a good cause. 

I cared for Mistar Pigog by the end of the story, litter-collecting Hedgehog with a lust for life. To this day I'm not sure why PIGOG is in capitals on the cover, though SPIKEY is too, so I guess there's a connection.

I haven't photographed the story pages as I don't want to spoil the ending for you!
Fact: This pamphlet was first published in 1978 and continued to be available until 1993. I got my copy in the mid 1980s.



2 comments:

  1. Hello - I'm so happy to have found this. I work for the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority and have fond memories of this story from my own childhood. We are scouring our archives but we don't have a copy anywhere - would you prepared to let us have a short loan of your copy so we can copy for our records. Many thanks Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, I've only just seen your comment (sorry I don't seem to get notifications). I would love to help - What's the best way to contact you?

      Delete