Sooty's pal, Sweep!

 Yus! I still have my 1970s vintage Sweep hand-puppet! And it still squeeks!

One of my favourite things from my childhood! My brother had a silent Sooty hand puppet and I had the squeaking Sweep. Some alliteration there, kids. Whilst Sooty,  with his magician's wand, was the cool, quiet one, Sweep was contrastingly noisy. Yes, this Sweep hand-puppet has a working squeaker - despite many years of overuse trying to amuse/annoy family and friends it still works! 

Yes, he's seen better days but it's a much cherished toy and I guess after all these years it would classed a vintage item.

Anyway, I think our Sooty & Sweep would pretty much just hand wrestle each other. This might be my imagination, but I think Sooty would gang up with my bother's Emu doll and attack Sweep! Nah, probably not.


What is it worth?

Sooty and Sweep hand puppet dolls (and their pals, Soo, Butch, Cousin Scampi...) have been around since the 1950s.  Over the years they have been sold as sets, pairs and individual puppets. Some people sell them as a set, others sell them individually. Sweep was bought for me as a singular puppet (my brother had had Sooty for several years, so we know they weren't a split pair).

Actual ones used in the show can fetch thousands, but shop-bought ones, well value would depend on age, condition and make. Unlike some collectors markets (like Star Wars), there aren't readily available guides for prices of items such as TV memorabilia collectors items. Based on a quick look on eBay I would think one of these Sweeps from the 70s/80s would fetch at least £30.

Note: Be weary when buying as some sellers will sell modern ones claiming they're vintage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment